The information in this FAQ is compiled from posts in various newsgroups and user forums. Thanks to all those posters who
contributed with their knowledge!
Server configuration |
Client resources |
User issues |
Administration & Monitoring |
- I need to add an extra server to my Terminal Server farm. What is the easiest way to make sure that it is identical to the existing servers?
- I need hotfix nnnnnn! Where can I download it?
- Should I configure the server to optimize for applications or background processes?
- Can I install Terminal Services from the commandline?
- When starting TS Configuration on a W2008 TS, I get an error message: "The settings for this terminal server cannot be retrieved", or "Unable to complete operation: Not found"
- How do I clear the user name from the logon dialog box?
- How do I enforce the domain name in the logon dialog box?
- How can I prevent my users from shutting down the Terminal Server?
- How can I prevent my users from disconnecting from their session?
- How can I configure the server to automatically kill disconnected sessions immediately?
- How can I prevent my users from connecting to the full desktop of the server while deploying my applications through RemoteApp?
- How can I configure different sets of RemoteApps, based on user group membership?
- How can I configure different TS desktops, based on user group membership?
- Can I limit most users to a single session, while allowing other users multiple sessions?
- How can I enable the clock in the Taskbar for all remote sessions?
- How can I remove the background image from the logon screen on my Dell server?
- How can I configure a default wallpaper for my remote users?
- How can I disable the notification beeps in a TS session?
- How can I remove icons for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express from all user profiles?
- How can I lock down my standalone TS with a local policy without locking down the Administrator account?
- How can I verify that my local COM ports are redirected?
- How can I prevent my users from redirecting their local resources, like drives and clip board?
- How can I allow only a subset of my users to redirect their local printers and drives?
- How can I copy files to my local disk drive from the command prompt / with a batch file?
- How can I see the free disk space on my redirected local drive?
- How can I prevent the security warning when I use local drive redirection?
- How can I connect to my local scanner or digital camera in a TS session?
- Can I use multiple monitors with my rdp session?
- How can I roll out Custom ICA Connections to use with Citrix Program Neighboorhood to all my users?
- Remote Desktop session window won't stay minimized
- How do I get rid of the yellow connection bar?
- When users start a program, they get an error message:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
- When users start a program, they get a security warning:
"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure that you want to run this software?"
- When users start a Remote Desktop Connection or a RemoteApp, they get a dialog box: "a Website wants to start a remote connection. The publisher of this remote connection cannot be identified."
- Users cannot login and change their expired passwords through TS Gateway
- How can I allow my left-handed users to configure their mouse buttons properly?
- Extended characters with the right Alt key don't work
- How do I choose between Per Device and Per User TS CALs?
- Can I install 2008 TS CALs on my 2003 or W2K TS Licensing Server?
- Can I install a 2008 Licensing Server as a member server in my W2K domain?
- How do I know when the grace period will end?
- I've installed licenses on my Licensing Server, but it still issues temporary ones. What's wrong?
- How do I move my TS licenses to a new TS Licensing Server?
- How can I see if a TS Licensing Server is installed as Enterprise or Domain LS?
- How can I revoke an issued Per Device license to make it available for a new client?
- How can I revoke an issued Per User license to make it available for a new user?
- Expired TS CALs are not returned to the pool of available licenses
- Can I use a single TS Licensing Server to issue TS CALs to Terminal Servers in multiple untrusted domains and workgroups?
- How can I delete the MSLicensing key from a thin client?
- How can I delete the MSLicensing key from a Macintosh client?
- Some of my Macintosh users can connect, others can't, from the same Mac client. What's wrong?
- How can I monitor my TS license database and get a warning when I'm running out of available licenses?
- My printer spooler keeps crashing! How can I solve this?
- Redirected printers are not deleted when users log off their rdp session
- My users can see all redirected printers. How can I make them see only their own printers?
- How can I turn off printer notifications for all users?
- I want only specific printers to be redirected. Can this be done?
- Can I remove the session number from the redirected printer name?
- My old DOS application needs to print to LPT1. How can this be done?
- How can I allow rdp connections from specific clients only?
- RDP connections from a Vista client freeze or disconnect after some minutes
- When I try to connect to a 2003 TS from my XP SP3 / Vista / Windows 7 client wit the latest RDP client, I get an error: "... Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the computer..."
- When I try to connect to a 2008 TS from my XP SP3 client, I get an error: "The remote computer requires network level authentication..."
- When I try to connect to a 2008 TS from my XP SP3 client via TS Web Access, I get an error: "ActiveX control not installed or not enabled."
- Is it possible to connect to a 2008 TS from my XP SP3 client without having to enter my domain username and passsword for the second time?
- My Terminal Server does not respond after a reboot. How do I solve this?
- I am planning to move my Terminal Server to new hardware. How can I move the user profiles to the new server?
- User profiles are filling up my C: drive. Can I move them to my D: drive?
- Users' Temporary Internet Files are filling up my harddisk
- How can I measure RDP bandwidth usage?
- Can I enhance graphics performance by installing a better video card in the server?
- How can I improve the quality of video in a TS session?
- My application runs fine for Administrators, but not for normal users
- My application runs only for the Administrator who installed the application, but not for normal users or other accounts with Administrator rights
- User sessions don't logoff when users quit their starting or published application
- How can I run a DOS application in full screen?
- I need to have an application running on the console. How can I monitor it?
- How can I prevent my users from surfing the Internet in their TS sessions?
- When I try to installan application on my TS, I get an error message: "This machine is running Terminal Services in Application Server Mode. Applications are not available to install from the network in this mode."
Administration & Monitoring
- How can I bypass Session Broker and directly logon to one of my Terminal Servers?
- How can I remotely manage my 2008 Server Core server?
- Terminal Services Administration tool starts minimized and can't be maximized
- How can I use the Remote Desktops snap-in from 2003 Adminpak.msi without installing all the tools?
- How can I restrict connections to my 2003 server to console sessions only?
- How can I change which users or Administrators can connect to the console session?
- How can I start a console session from a XP SP3 or Vista SP1 client?
- How can I start a console session from a Macintosh RDC client?
- Can I start a console session from my PDA?
- How can my script / application detect if a Windows 2003 server is in Remote Administration or Application Server mode?
- How can my script / application detect if Remote Desktop for Administration is enabled on a Windows 2003 server?
- How can my script / application detect if a Windows 2008 server is configured for Remote Administration or running the Terminal Server role service?
- How can my script / application detect if Remote Desktop for Administration is enabled on a Windows 2008 server?
- How can my script / application detect the licensing mode of a Windows 2003 or 2008 Server?
- How can my script / application detect if it is running in a Terminal Services client session?
- How can my script / application retrieve the session id of the session it is running in?
- How can I retrieve the client IP number?
- How can I track which users are logging on to my Terminal Server?
- How can I retrieve the total number of sessions on my Terminal Server?
- How can I remotely kill disconnected sessions?
- How can I kill all active sessions at a specific time?
- How can I Remote Control my Windows XP SP2 client from within Terminal Services Manager?
- How can I Remote Control my Windows 2000 Pro / Vista Home client?
- How can I Remote Control my Macintosh client?